Tuesday, January 20, 2009

CH CH CH CHANGES


Before I begin my topic for today, I just want to identify this photo. I took this picture in Greece this past summer at a museum in Athens. It is of an ancient strand of amber beads...natural and original of course! As a collector and lover of amber for the past 20+ years, seeing these ancient strands moved me...unfortunately none were for sale! (since this is a jewelry blog, kinda, sorta, I wanted to include at least a little blurb that made this jewelry related!)

So, today is a big day. (and yes, my blog title is ripping off David Bowie's song: Changes) Despite your personal political opinions or where you live on the globe, chances are, you have some sort of feeling about the fact that at noon today, (eastern time), Barack Obama will be sworn in as the 44th president of the United States.

While our country gets a new president, my basement is being changed from a doggie-house to a yoga studio and office. It's a small change in the scope of the world, though for me, it is huge...and something I have dreading due to the work and money involved.

From various conversations I've had with people from all parts of the political spectrum, nearly all have expressed in agreement that change is certainly needed regarding the direction of our country. Of course the "what" and "how" part of that equation differs greatly, though that is not the purpose of my post today. Fact is, "change" has been a common mantra from many..most, I believe...and it makes me think of a quote I have heard...something that is often my own internal mantra:

"If nothing changes, nothing changes."

I am not sure of the original source of this quote...I probably heard it in a support group or read it on a bathroom wall somewhere. (If you know the source, please let me know!) The first time I heard it, I did a big "DUH"...it seemed so simplistic and almost silly. Then it set in for me more and more as I realized that besides the big picture, I often kept expecting change in my life, yet resisted actually doing anything different. That of course brings to mind this quote, which I believe was Albert Einstein:

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

I know for me, I am SOOO guilty of being insane according to dear old Al's definition. I basically want it NOW. Whatever "it" may be. And while my friends and family and acquaintances may view me as a go-getter type...perpetually running around, wearing many hats...single mom, business owner, yoga teacher and practitioner, nutrition student (not to mention all the literal hats I have worn...wide brims, fedoras, pill box, cloches...but I digress), I have to be honest here: when it comes right down to changing...I DON'T WANNA. Well, I want the RESULTS....it's the actions that often hold me up.

Yes, full disclosure here...I want to be slim and pretty and look like I'm 25 forever, but I want to be able to do it while eating whatever I want when I want, and without having to exert much mental or physical effort. I want to be the best nutrition consultant in the world, but I don't want to take the time to study and research. I even want to have the best inventory in the world on my site, but I don't necessarily want to wake up extra early to get to the estate sales and antique shows before anyone else. Oh yeah...and I am impatient....when I DO implement a change, for example, giving up sugar, I want the extra 5-10 lbs that I may be holding onto to miraculously disappear within 24 hours of consistent mindful, healthy eating.

I guess the cool thing is that while my little brat ego which lives inside of me, hoping for a chance to rear its ugly head, can think those thoughts, my "real" self, the part of me which knows the truth, certainly doesn't EXPECT change without actions. For this, I am grateful.

Today, the United States will inaugurate a new president...and not just any president, but the first black president, and a scholarly one at that. While I don't expect that tomorrow, all the current economic, environmental, and social issues will suddenly cease to exist, I do have hope that this is a start. I have to do my part of course, as do we all. So today...I'll ship some packages to customers of my website, go on a brisk walk to the yoga studio, read some for school, and get a few other things done in my life. Nothing back breaking or mind blowing. Just a few steps in the right direction.



1 comment:

Jen Singh said...

Yahoo! So glad to be a follower-great to see you at yoga, talk to you soon.