Thursday, January 1, 2009

How I spent the first day of 2009/ How did YOU spend yours?

I hope everyone had a lovely first day of 2009.  Atlanta was cold
though we had amazingly beautiful, crisp clear weather. I woke up
fairly early, though later than usual (I'm up by 5am most mornings as
I teach at 6am on Fridays), felt great thanks to not staying up too
terribly late. Not being a drinker and not indulging in lots of
sugar (my true addiction) certainly helped. I had some coffee, a new
habit I brought back with me from Greece this summer (organic fair
trade from Trader Joe's...yum)..I've cut back to about a cup, maybe a
cup and a half, 4-6 days a week...then caught up on emails, had a
nice healthy breakfast, did a little listing on my site.

Then, to start the new year off fresh, I washed bed sheets and
cleaned up a bit...not a crazy-in depth cleaning, but enough to make
the house feel good. Then I picked my mom up and we went to the
local farmer's market (indoor and year round) where they have an
incredible little restaurant with $5/lb fresh home cooked and healthy
food...lots of ethnic dishes too since many of the cooks are Indian,
African, and Asian. Best deal in town...and really good. For about
$11 for both we ate yummy meals and brought home a bowl of homemade
lentil soup. No collars and black eyed peas though! So we'll have
to get our health and prosperity from the kale and lentils. If any
of you ever find yourself here in Atlanta (Decatur), I'd love to take
you on a field trip to the Dekalb Farmer's Market....it's a pretty
amazing place. After lunch, we shopped and saw so many lovely
people...some shopping and some who worked at the market. It seemed
everyone was happy and smiling. A wonderful older man from India,
Raymen, gave me the most wonderful new year's hug. He is probably my
favorite person there and always asks me how my son and family are
doing whenever he sees me.

My mom is 83 and recently gave up driving, so it was nice to spend a
little time of her and get her out of the house. (in case you're wondering,
that's her and her granddog, Bart, above)She's been in the
same place since 1962 and while she is still independent, we're
trying to convince her to downsize to a retirement community. She is
definitely not too enthusiastic about moving, so it's been a
challenge. We live about 4 miles apart, so at least I can see her
regularly and be there quickly if needed. There are several nice
senior communities within walking distance from my house, so my
brothers and I are hopeful that within the next 6 months (or less) we
can get her to transition to an apartment where she will be less
isolated. I want her nearby so I can make sure she eats healthy
foods and gets regular exercise.

After I dropped my mom off, I came home and decided to go to a hot
yoga class where I work. It was so nice to be in the studio in a
ultra hot room with over 30 other people. The roomed was a nice
blend of calmness and a buzzing energy. The theme of the class was
to find "santosha"...or in English, contentment. And to have
gratitude for that contentment. It was a perfect message..I can't
think of a better thought to have to begin 2009. About 75 minutes
later, dripping in sweat, and blissed out, I came home.

I just finished a delicious dinner and will have a bath, make the bed
up with my freshly cleaned sheets (and smooth shaven legs...ohmagosh,
love that feeling), and settled in for the night. Tomorrow begins
early with my 6am class to teach.

If you've read my little diatribe, thanks for indulging me. I don't
always have days that flow so nicely, and when I do, it is sure nice
to share it and to hear about how others spent their day. I'm just
so grateful for mine.

I'll end this email with a sanscrit mantra:

"Lokah somasta sukhino bhavantu"

translated:

May all beings everywhere be happy and free and may, words and
actions of my own life in some way contribute to this happiness and
freedom for all

No comments: