Sunday, December 21, 2008

COUNTDOWN


As the year comes to an end, I can always feel a kind of buzz in the air as the energy and tensions build. Sometimes it is anticlimactic, others, the build up is definitely warranted, but I can always feel it. Invitations come in for parties and open house get soirees. Then there's the food...piles of it...cheesy, meaty, fatty, sugary, casserole-y, chocolate-y, creamy, special-only-made-once-a-year-so-you-better-taste-it stuff....and even with the best resolve, many often find themselves rationalizing a bite...then another, and another. Well, it's not always pretty. Add that to the pressure of finding the perfect gifts and making out the list of who will receive the gifts...well, the whole thing can be overwhelming.

So...I suggest simplifying and making this time of year mean something. As I get older, I am learning to be still and be true to myself, giving from the heart. I ask myself to be true to myself and others...sometimes it is something material, and others it is a gift of time...teaching a free yoga class, calling the person, or taking the time to write an email or letter or card. Honestly, I would make more money as a person who sells "Stuff" if everyone would log onto my site and just pick out hundreds or thousands of dollars of my items to knock people off of the list quickly and easily. But when it comes down to it, I get more joy helping people add meaning to the holiday experience and if an old memento or piece of jewelry can trigger a feeling of warmth and love, then that's great. And it happens all the time.

Yes this is a blog for my business, and I want people to shop my site and buy lots of stuff! Even more, though, I want you to enrich your holiday experience with memories and love. If I can help facilitate that experience, then all the better. So the countdown is on...2009 is almost here. A new year, a new president, new beginnings and some endings. I'd love to be a part of that if I can...but most of all, have a safe season and a joyous and abundant new year.

No comments: