Wednesday, December 31, 2008

HOPE: OK..this is REALLY the last post of 2008

The last day of the year...for many, a time of reflection, new beginnings, endings, resolutions. I began the day like I often do on Wednesdays...a brisk walk for a little while, a 6am hot vinyasa yoga class, then a walk home for breakfast, some work, writing, errands. Nothing too special really, though as a member of an online jewelry group, I did partake in some discussions, sometimes heated and controversial, sometimes fun and upbeat. The list owner suggested, in an effort to get the subject away from controversial topics that were often political hot button issues, to post on hope.

This is a time in our society where many of us are not just in transitions, but also struggling with many issues. So, I do feel that having hope is imperative.

Hope...

Hope can be a noun or a verb, and while I posted about things "I hope..." using it in the verb sense, really, in retrospect, I much prefer it as a noun. To me, hoping for something doesn't imply action, appearing more passive, while affirming hope seems less goal oriented. Perhaps it's just semantics, but I truly do believe that life is about the journey and not the destination, and hoping "for" something seems a bit preoccupied with the final outcome rather than the process.

That said...here is what I shared earlier. ...
I am just going to make a list...this is not in an order of priority, by the way....to me it is not so much about hope as it is making positive affirmations about the present. It would take a book and a year for me to really write completely on this subject, so this is in no way a comprehensive list. I know after I finish, I'll probably think of things I forgot to say!
Hope for the world around us:

~I hope for less suffering throughout the world. Ideally, wars,
world hunger, homelessness, cruelty to people and animals, and
disease would all end. Of course I know that realistically, this
probably won't happen, so I hope that we can make some progress
towards this end and make progress towards these things. I hope
people can get, at the very least, their emotional, mental, and
physical needs met.

~I hope for ways to clean up the environment that we can all agree
upon and that are effective. This includes solutions for the
climate changes, the use of less chemicals on our food and water
supplies, and less dependency of oil.

~I hope we can grow as a human race and act rather than REact. The
"Golden Rule" rules!

~I hope the economy will turn around as it has historically done in
all past recessions and depressions.

~I hope for unity in the US. I hope for unity in the world.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Personal hopes:

~I hope that I can remember the following before I speak (or type)
and apply it to all situations.
THE FOUR GATES of SPEECH:
*Is it truthful?
*Is it necessary to say?
*Is it the appropriate time?
*Can it be said in a kind way?

~I hope I can treat myself with love and respect, without negative
self talk or self sabotaging behaviors. I know that before I do
this more consistently, I cannot be there for myself...which I must
be in order to be of maximum service to others.

~I hope to maintain the good health I have and to resolve and/or
improve the few health issues I am dealing with.

~I hope to continue to grow as a yoga teacher.

~I hope my son continues to be happy and to do well in college.
(Straight As his first semester! woo hoo!)

~I hope my son and I can become a bit closer as he enters adulthood
and I shift into mid life.

~I hope to continue to learn more with my nutrition studies and to
make steady progress, receiving my certification in a timely
manner.

~I hope to continue to have faith in the universe and have the
knowledge that it will continue to provide me with everything I
need (even if it is not everything I WANT). I also want to be
happy with whatever that may be.

~I hope my mother stays healthy and her physical problems improve
(after she fell last summer).

~I hope my family and friends remain happy and healthy and that
those who are not can improve on both fronts.


OK: gosh, there is so much more. Again, these are more like
affirmations to me...ie...I AM LEARNING, I AM HAPPY, THE WORLD IS
IMPROVING, etc. So, for now, that is all.

have a great day all...2009 is going to totally rule, I just know it!

Lisa
(BTW...the photo posted is of my son Alex around 2003, when he was about 13 or 14 yrs old.
I can't believe how much he has grown since then!)


No comments: